Tuesday, December 8, 2009

TWO WEEKS LEFT?!

Um, what the hell? How did time go by so quickly? What is going on?

I can't believe I've spent nearly four months in Paris, living and eating and breathing and being hot and being cold. It's unreal.

Amy came and visited during Thanksgiving break (in the USA)! It was SO amazing. We had such a good time, just hanging out and being soul sisters and strolling around Paris like we owned the place. We had sleepovers, we had crepes. Paris is perfect BFF setting.
Anyways, Steven, Amy's brother, was also here, and it was great having a guy around so we didn't get harassed as much as we would have, plus he could take cute pictures of us. While Amy was here, I had an emotional breakdown at the Musée d'Orsay, a place I've mentioned before, and which I'm proud to say is my second huge famous French museum emotional breakdown location (after the Louvre episode during drawing class). Here's what went down...Background: I was very stressed about school things. Story: Amy and I had planned to meet in front of the museum one morning, at a large statue of a rhinoceros, at a certain time. We both arrived to the meeting point late, and missed each other. She didn't have a cell phone while she was here, and I kind of...well okay I MAJORLY flipped out. I thought she was lost or dead or something, with no French speaking abilities. I made a panicked call home, at like 4 am Texas time (thanks for still answering the phone in the middle of the night after all these ridiculous years, parents), and started bawling and hyperventilating and talking to my mom about Amy being lost in Paris and how all my teachers hated me. Mind you, I was literally standing at the base of a huge statue of a rhino, in front of the second most famous museum in the world (already lost my marbles at the number one), as security guards, vendors, and Asian tourists stared at me. I went inside the museum twice, still bawling, gave up my search, still bawling, got TO THE METRO STATION BAWLING, but turned around and went back to the museum...and found Amy standing at the rhino statue. I ran to her, hugged her, and bawled harder. The whole time, she had been inside, enjoying the Orsay, figuring we'd catch up at one point or another. Oh. I guess that's how common sense works. Moving on.

Here's a lame video of Amy and I on the Champs-Elysées. Things to note: the dancer performing on the street, the Christmas lights on the trees lining the avenue, the Arc de Triomphe (you won't miss it), and me sounding like an alien.
Life in Paris has strangely become...just life. How weird and surreal, to "get used to" living somewhere so amazing and wonderful? Going home is going to be really bittersweet, because while I miss things like my bed, Taco Bueno, and a general American disregard for the environment so I can take twenty minute showers and use my own gas-guzzling automobile everyday, I'm going to miss SO MUCH about Paris. Let's have a rundown.
  • FOODS. While I miss food at home LOTS AND LOTS (my parents have been informed of what drive-thru to take me to IMMEDIATELY when I arrive at DFW), there really isn't a sufficient American replacement for the crèpe. I mean, one could argue that your basic pancake fits the description pretty closely...but if one argued that, I would refute that point by bringing up the fact that one does not put egg, cheese, and mushroom in a pancake, fold it up, and stuff one's face with it on the metro while people stare. Other French food I will miss as well, but I can't think of specifics because now I'm just thinking about a crèpe.
  • Style. People are WAY too done up, and the style is generally exactly the same everywhere you look, where I come from, so it's nice to see really diverse ways of dressing and expressing yourself, with a different kind of "European" feel. Plus, in Texas you don't really see winter chic in the same way as you do here. When we get cold in Dallas for our week of winter, we wear sweatshirts and ugg boots. In Paris, people have great coats and layers, scarves and different style boots, cute hats and rosy cheeks. In the winter, I look like a hobo.
  • Culture. I love French language, and I'm going to miss hearing it and using it everyday. I hate the thought that I'm leaving so many museums and cultural sites behind. There's so much to see and learn and appreciate here--the history of the city can be kind of overwhelming at times, when you find yourself in a grand old cathedral or surrounded by ancient castle walls or simply walking on cobblestones. I'll miss that personal feel of greeting shopkeepers and/or employees when entering businesses, and wishing them a good day when I leave. I'll miss seeing street demonstrations, and the rhythm of urban life...of walking down the street and thinking, "holy shit I'm in PARIS." I'll miss people wishing me "bon apetit" before I stuff my face with an aforementioned crèpe.
  • My host family. THEY'RE LITERALLY THE BEST. They're seriously SO COOL.
School has been going well, and I can't believe it's already the last week of classes. I have one paper left and finals, all of which are happening next week. My political science class has been really cool and informative, especially on a current events level. I feel like I'm up to date on European political issues in a way I've never been before, and I really hope I keep up with Europolitics when I get back. The things going on here are ridiculously interesting to me, like further integration of the European Union through the Lisbon Treaty (that was recently ratified), and continued issues with immigrant assimliation/integration in European societies and governments. But ya know, I'm just a nerd. My drawing class has had some definite ups and downs, but I'm walking away with a real foundation and understanding of basic drawing concepts, and some really unique and cherished experiences and accomplishments...at the very least, I can always trust that my mom will like all my work. French class has been REALLY great, and an awesome confidence builder. Whoulda known I'd be able to write a minimum 3000 word essay on the philosophy of theatre? In French? Much less discuss these concepts out loud? I did a class presentation on mimes!

Check out some graffiti in my hood!



I'm going to try my very best to take some more great pictures the rest of this week and wrap up my four months with at least one more post. I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying a happy and harmonious last month of 2009. Can you BELIEVE it's doing to be THE YEAR 2010?! Insane.

I was going to end the post with music like I have been, but I feel like I've been listening to the same music on repeat for the past four months, and it's starting to annoy me. Instead, I thought I'd share some quotes that I've come across, in the past four months (either while researching a topic for school or just stumbling upon them during everyday Paris life), that have struck me in some way or another or seemed indicative or symbolic of my beliefs. I'm super obsessed with quotes--they bring out the ridiculous idealist in me. Just be generally informed, I'm sort of blue-blooded. If by some rare chance you were like, an alien, who could read English but not interpret political/social ideologies and nuances, or, I dunno, you just don't know me very well...at all? Whatever.
"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one whit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class I am in it, while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison I am not free."
- Eugene Debs
"The chief danger about Paris is that it is such a strong stimulant." - T.S. Eliot
"This has always been a man's world, and none of the reasons that have been offered in explanation have seemed adequate."
- Simone de Beauvoir
And, a favorite treasure, found this summer just before I left:
"This is what you shall do; Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning god, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body."
- Walt Whitman
Goodnight everyone!
Peace, love, and Paris,
Rhiannon


2 comments:

  1. I am so going to miss your blog!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for letting us live, share, and breath Paris through your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I know exactly how you feel! I missed London terribly when I came home from London Semester, even though I was glad to be home. Same when I came back from England after teaching there for a year. You'll always be part French.

    ReplyDelete