Tuesday, September 8, 2009

"America is my country and Paris is my hometown."

-Gertrude Stein.

Not much to report today either.  Yesterday I ended up NOT having class, since the professor couldn't make it (unknown reason).  The course is rescheduled for this Thursday.  This is what my weekly class schedule looks like:

Monday
11:30 Political Science (Comparative Politics of Western Europe)
Tuesday
4:00 Drawing 
Wednesday
11:30 Political Science (Comparative Politics of Western Europe)
5:00 French (Contemporary French Theatre)
Thursday
12:30 Drawing
4:00 Cultural Formations (France in the Interwar Period)

Drawing today was SO great.  Our professor is Italian, his name is Ivo Bonacorsi (say it loud right now in an Italian accent - extremely amusing).  He has two Masters degrees, one in art history and one in studio art.  Today was just a run down of how the class will operate and such; we were released early and went to the art supply store and bought cool things!  Like big sketch books and little sketch books and different pencils (who knew they made ones that weren't just freakin' #2?) and erasers and it was grand.  One day a week we will be drawing in class, learning about technique, a little art history, etc.  The other day of class we will be at one of Paris' AWESOME museums and drawing pieces that are actually there!  How intense is it that I will be drawing shit hanging in the Louvre?  Or the Musée d'Orsay?  Or the Musée Rodin?!?!?!  I'm dying.

My French class is intimidating.  I haven't been there yet, and actually it doesn't start until next week.  It's a 5000 level class, and there is only me and another girl (Lauren, who was with me in the South of France last summer) taking that level while we are here, so we've been added to a class with Sarah Lawrence and Wesleyan students.  We will be reading French plays and attending theatre productions here in the city!  I'm super pumped about the class material, about getting out and watching French plays, and about meeting other students who are studying abroad, but I just hope the language level is not beyond my understanding.  SL and Wes are obviously formidable universities with strong academic reputations...I just don't want to be the dumbass in the class with the Texan accent in French.  Not ideal.

This morning I woke up and went to the market.  The Belleville market opens every Tuesday and Friday morning; Anne suggested I go shopping there for fruits and veggies instead of going to the grocery store because it would be cheaper.  She was beyond correct.  I bought six perfect peaches, ten kiwis and ten clementine oranges for less than two dollars.  At a grocery store like Monoprix this could have easily been ten bucks.  Here's a quick shaky vid of the market:

The market is set up in the middle of the boulevard on the large median, with tents on each side to provide shade for the vendors and their products.  A veritable cornucopia (dang, nice) of fruits and vegetables are sold, as well as fresh meat and fish, cheese and yogurt, and even accessories like bags, sunglasses, and shoes.  You can hear them yelling out prices and such in the vid.  Most of the vendors are of Arab descent, and it was cool to hear everyone wishing each other a Happy Ramadan.  Reminded me of my roots and made me think of the fam.  THE ETHNICS.

Which reminds me - funny story from Alexia and her host family.  Alexia is Mexican and her host family is supes sweet and adorable.  They have been trying to provide her with food that is "mexican" so as to make her feel more at home.  These products have included a powder they insisted was guacamole and buying mangos for her at the market.  Because she is from the tropical rainforest. Obviously.

Which brings me to another ethnically influenced anecdote.  My fam made pig feet last night for dinner - it was really unexpected for me, but later they told me it isn't a traditional French meal, they just like it.  At any rate, they made me another small dish of noodles and shrimp because they took into account my ethnic heritage and assumed I wouldn't be eating pork.  It spurred a conversation about religion over dinner.  Can we talk about how amazing and perfect for me my host family is?  They're old simple intellectuals, with open minds and open hearts.  They respect, even appreciate, the differences of other cultures.  Annnnd it helps that they are super liberal, possess an aversion to organized religion, and have an egalitarian view of gender roles.  When I mentioned that I got a few pointed questions about why I was coming into the country at French customs (not this time, the time before), Jean-Charles joked "WELL OBVIOUSLY WE HAVE TOO MANY TERRORISTS WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO GET IN TO OUR PERFECT COUNTRY?!"  They're like an old, French Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. 

I need to shower tonight but am embarrassed to ask JC&A how to turn on the water heater AGAIN.  They live in a super old building, so there's this thing in the kitchen with a dial that you turn to "Gas" and then hold down the button for like five seconds and then you light a match and LIGHT THIS WICK THING ON FIRE.  And it's BIG FLAMES.  And then you wait a few minutes and you can take a hot shower.  I am basically 99% sure I'm going to burn the building down.  Or at least singe my eyebrows off.  No way I'm walking away from something like this unscathed.  

Anne makes homemade yogurt and we put blackberry jam (also homemade) in it and I basically die right there at the dining room table every. time. we have it.

I will leave you people with that thought for tonight, of delectable fresh food and tastes of wonderment.

Peace, love, and Paris,
Rhiannon

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I would also burn the building down! Just ask them, though, they'll probably just think you're cute for worrying. I'm so glad you have a great host family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so happy your host fam is so perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can i come stay with your host family? i love them, and want them to love me back. you may think your post is boring, but your clever acedotes are completely entertaining to me. and that's what's important anyway. your schedule sounds easy-ish. which is great, so you have time to venture out and be a frenchi as much as possible. the fresh market looks like a lot of fun and a place to meet a lot of interesting people. i bet people are shocked when they find out you are an american that speaks french, and then speaks arabic. i would love to see the look of confusion on their faces. how lovely that your family takes into consideration your background in their own family activity. funny. the water heater sounds exactly like the old water heater tieta used to have in her kitchen. you light it and wait for it to heat the water. yes, i never lit it myself either because i was afraid i would cause a gas leak, causing everyone to die in their sleep. just ask again, for sure all the other students they have hosted were nervous about it too. please invite them to come stay with us any time they like. we would love to meet them. although i am sure texas would not be their first vacation destination. always love rhi rhiz. my favoritest girl.
    momma and bobba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhi -
    I posted a comment a few days ago and don't see it now and I just lost another one, so this is a test to see if I can make it stick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rhi - I LOVE this blog - it's become a highlight of my day. It's so great that you get to spread your fun around to so many of us. The videos really add to our adventure - thanks for them & your FUN descriptions!.
    Don't worry about your French level. You've been immersed in la francais two other times so you'll be ahead of a lot of people. And you DON'T have a Tejas accent anyways. Your mixed accent is part of your mystique. :>)
    You didn't say much about your French "brother" other than the hilarious intro with that dead animal hanging off your head. Did he survive the intro? Is he the stereotyped classic romantic Frenchman or um, not quite?
    Oh, I'm curous, why do they have pictures of shit hanging in the Louvre and why do you want to copy them?
    Je t'aime mucho,
    Gma

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is shane riley. im trying to reach you via text but it isnt working out to well. i cannot explain my jealousy towards you at the moment. i want to be there so badly. but since that option is a non-option, i am in dallas drinking beers all day to celebrate my birthday. im twenty fuckin two!!!!! can you believe it? my dad ordered me a laptop but i probably wont get it til the end of september. i'll try to keep in touch while im here in dallas but after that i will figure out how to reach you through email and such when i get my computadora.

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. this is shane again... i just watched the video that you sent to me. intense. no sound :( but it worked for me. you know what im talking about... hahaha

    ReplyDelete